“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails… Explore, Dream, Discover…” – Mark Twain
This year West Coast Marine Yacht Services celebrates 20 years of being in business and their director Aashim Mongia can safely say he’s pretty glad he threw off the bowline and sailed away from the safe harbour. Twenty years ago he had multiple ‘safe’ job offers in mature yachting markets like Canada and Europe and a growing market like UAE but that’s all they were – jobs. Then an accidental conversation with Mumbai’s most passionate sailor JJ – “Jehangir Jehangir” gave wind and sail to his dream – allowed him to join him at his workshop to build boats. That started a journey which has had every element of a block buster movie – dreams, passion, heartbreak, failed attempts and sheer hard work!
As a first generation entrepreneur with no capital except his dreams and the support of an experienced sailor there were many moments when Aashim wanted to throw in the towel and take up a job that paid the bills every month. But like every sailor at some points who is stuck in the middle of the ocean on a dark night you keep hoping to see a passing ship’s light or look for a beacon in the distance, that shows the way to safe harbour, they kept the dream alive – a dream that one day West Coast Marine will be India’s number one full service yachting company. From 4 people and a dream, today they are close to 200 and have spread their wings far beyond Mumbai to across the world. There is little they don’t know about yachting and there is little that they can’t provide to customers in-house whether it is a small shackle for their sailboat or a full service support for their super yacht anywhere in the world.
During this journey West Coast Marine have strongly believed that with a large coastline such as India’s there is a strong need for an indigenously built boat for cruising. They have used the in house experience of their design and management team who has traversed extensively across the Indian coast both in sailboats and powerboats to design a 22 ft sail boat. Everything they have learnt on the boats has been meticulously applied to come up with a design meant for cruising. During the many hours of brainstorming on every detail there was always a voice asking – JJ spent his life sailing on small boats across large distances – the longest being Mumbai to Muscat a 1000 nm – in a 21 foot Seabird so what would he want in this section. It’s only appropriate then that the new West Coast Marine sail boat designed be called JJ.
JJ Boats conceptualized to be India’s first Family Cruiser was launched by West Coast Marine Yacht Services on 25 March 2014. A spacious craft that can sleep two adults, which has a galley, sink, head, fridge, navigation table and plenty of storage. Small details such an outside shower for a post dip rinse, OBM bracket for a little engine and a fresh water tank for 100 litres on board make the difference. The large cockpit can seat six comfortably. The boat can cruise with long distances with 5 on board and can race with 4 on board. The rig is designed and provided by XS marine and the sails are made by North Sails with an asymmetric spinnaker.
The detailed specs are as under:
– LOA: 22 Ft.
– Beam: 6.99 Ft.
– Draft: 5.44 Ft. (with keel down)
– Weight: Approx. 1802 Kg.
– Skin Fittings: Holt UK
– Running Rigging : Marlow UK Ropes (Main sheet with centre sheeting swivel based jammer and runner track, jib sheet, Genneker sheets with ratchets, kicker, Cunningham, Genneker boom with ropes, runners, out haul
– Halyards: main sail, fore sail, Genneker sail.
– 2 heavy duty winch for Genneker sheet / Jib sheet
– Aluminium Mast with 2 spreaders, aluminium boom and rod kicker. (XS marine Rig)
– Safety railing with stanchions
– Deck cleats (02 Nos. pop- up on aft)
– Stag horn on bow with fair lead
– North Sail Package : Main sail, fore sail with furler, Genneker
– Drop keel with winch
– Chart Table
– 4 fenders
– Sail covers
– Kitchenette with storage cupboard, with sink and water tap
– Anchor locker with hatch on bow
– Tiller with extension (optional)
– 100Ltr Water Tank (optional)
– 5 kg LPG Gas cylinder with Dometic Burner (optional)
– Deck shower with Jabsco pressure pump (optional)
– Water inlet and vent (optional)
– Toilet inbuilt (optional)
– Websto USA battery operated fridge (optional)
– LED Cabin lights + chart table light (optional)
– 12 V battery (optional)
– Twin Electrical panel switch board (modern yacht finish panel board)
– OBM Bracket for 9.9 HP on transom (optional)
– Teak finish interior with yacht finish head lining (optional)
– Complete aft cockpit with storage hatches
– All overboard discharge outlet with NRV and seacock in side.
– 4 courtesy light in outer cockpit
– 5 kg anchor with rope
THE BOAT CAN BE TAKEN FOR SEA-TRIAL WITH PRIOR APPOINTMENT:
EMAIL: CHARTER@WESTCOASTMARINE.CO.IN OR CALL AT: +91 (0)22 2285-6127 / 98339 32700.
To view the entire range of boats click here:
WEST COAST MARINE YACHT SERVICES PVT. LTD.
Colaba Workshop Building,
Jamshedji Bunder, Lala Nigam Road,
Colaba, Mumbai – 400 005. INDIA.
Tel. 022 2285 6127 / 022 2283 1495
Fax. 022 2282 9602