After a tough week at work I wish all I could do is head to Goa for some fun in the sun, water sports, the beach and chilled beer over the weekend. Yes, I’d love to live the beach life, if only Goa was 20 minutes away! So I look at the other options I have. Going to the movies sounds good but I’d like to do more than just sit around in an air conditioned darkened hall. Going to the mountains sounds adventurous but who wants to drive there and back or travel in smelly trains. Shopping’s another great idea. Window shopping in gigantic malls can be excellent for the calf muscles and who knows, if you are in the mood to treat yourself it can be enormously refreshing for the body, mind and soul. So I find myself caught in the same dilemma again, the weekends coming up… what’s the program? If I could just get out of this city and be right back in a jiffy, wouldn’t that be great! If only Goa or someplace like it was 20 minutes away… With me so far? Wondering the same thing? Well, do I have news for you!
India’s west coast is fantastic for coastal sailing and water sports, and, if you live in the city, the Mumbai harbour offers a safe and conducive environment for all kinds of water sports like jet skiing or kayaking. Take up a new sport or simply plan something new. It is more accessible than you think. Follow the step-by-step guide to explore the waters around Mumbai!
- Pack a change of clothes, a towel, some sun-tan lotion, a cap and shades.
- @ Rs. 200/- return, hop onto a Ferry from the Gateway of India to the Mandwa Jetty (1 hour).
Travel in style and actually reach Mandwa in 20 minutes – charter a speedboat at Rs.1000/- per person, minimum 8 persons. Now that’s definitely affordable luxury!
- The Water sports location is just off the jetty on the right hand side. (Pioneer Water Sports, Mandwa, Alibag, +91 9850303031)
- Jet Skis, Kayaking, Banana boat rides, Bumper float rides, Fishing Trips, Island Trips and many more! Packages start @ Rs.500/-. Timings are from morning 8.30am to 7 pm.
- Holiday resorts are very close to the jetty and rates are as little at Rs.600/- going up to Rs. 3600/- for a room per day with meals. For a really wonderful experience, stay overnight and experience the thrill of watching dolphins while you kayak next morning…
- Once you are away from the noise and pollution of the city a new wave of energy engulfs you… The scene changes within just a couple of minutes. You are away from the noisy concrete jungle breathing in fresh air amidst greenery and a relaxed easy atmosphere. Welcome my friends to the Goa of Maharashtra!
For a really wonderful experience, stay overnight and experience the thrill of watching dolphins in the wild while you kayak… Dolphins appear in the early mornings and around sun down, when it is not too hot and the sun is low. The best time to see a lot of them is the hour or so just before dark. Nothing is better for the mind than being on the open water, powering yourself through the waters of the Arabian sea. Couch potatoes to serious competitors are invited to join in the fun as kayakers of all levels are encouraged towards greater health, increased energy and full body fitness. Ocean kayaking is an extremely admired sport. It is the best alternative to surfboarding! You will surely want to invest in a kayak or a sailboat or even a speedboat instead of wheels after this experience. The sparkling ocean with the cool breeze will occupy your mind forever. There is always something to do once you step foot in Mandwa!
For sailing memberships and yacht charter packages click here.